Thursday, July 13, 2006

One good deed deserves another....and another....and an....

How fast the evening goes by. It seems only a moment since I came inside. Digg and You Tube............ Digital crack. I had this great idea for a post last night. By the time I got halfway into it my head was hurting so bad. Wow, I haven't had a headache like that in....I can't remember. So much for the poignant entry. It'll have to remain a draft for awhile.
I decided to actually get out and
do something today. I feel like I haven't accomplished anything at all in the last two weeks. I know, I had an excuse with my leg and side, But, still it was driving me nuts. So, what did I do? The normal. Make a simple plan turn into something just a little more complicated.
Since I'll be going back to work next week. Yeahh..... I better go ahead and get the oil changed on my truck while I have time. I feel I need to do that and take the wheels off so I can repaint the calipers and detail the suspension and back of the rims. Well, that was the initial plan. Of course when I got the truck up on the ramps I had a brainstorm. Why not go ahead and change the transfer case fluid since I'm under there? (I had bought transfer case, front and rear differential fluid months back.) Ok, I drop the skid plate, drain the motor oil, replace the oil filter and..... hey, I can get to the front differential drain plug. Well, I do have gear oil for it too. Hell...... we'll just change it also.
Two down, more to go? Of course, the transfer case. How I forget so quick? Ok, time to drop the skid plate for the transfer case. Wow, it's covered in old grease and oil. I'll need to clean it up before I put it back on. I drag it and the front skid plate to the driveway and bring out the powerwasher while the transfer case is draining. Did I mention the transfer case fluid is green?? Weird. Ok the skid plates free from caked on grease. Time to replace the plugs and fill up the transfer case. Of course it only takes 2 1/4 liters ( yes Liter bottle, not quarts) of $6 fluid. What to do with $4.50 worth of fluid left??
Three down, go for the fourth?? Hell, I have the gear oil and limited slip additive for the rear end. Let's go for it. First, I need to sand down the transfer case skid plate so I can paint it. ...........Ok, that's sanded and ready for paint.....Now it's primed. Might as well drain the rear diff while it's drying. ........ I got it going on now. OK, the rear is draining (yeah I had a little trouble getting the fill hole plug loose). I go and put a good coat of Rustoleum semi-flat black on the skid plate.. Back to new. Yee Ha
Of course, by this time all this squirming around under the truck is causing a little "discomfort" in my side which really hasn't been pushed since my little accident. But I still have to button things up. In quick order, LOL, I refill the rear diff, get the transfer case skid plate bolted back up,grab all my tools, put them up. Uh oh, guess I ought to finish with the engine oil change by actually pouring in the new oil.
Small disaster diverted. Hey, I still have the powerwasher out and hooked up to the water. I might as well pull the truck around and wash the bottom of the motor, front axle and all the other places that were covered by the skid plate. Yeah....That's the ticket. Only one thing wrong with this. Spraying the bottom of the motor and front diff that contains 7 years of built up grease and dirt, makes for a hell of a mess. Not only from the crap falling down, BUT the unbelievable amounts that spray up and over the top of the motor and engine compartment. No pain no gain, Right? I do a quick wipe down of the engine compartment, it'll have to be detailed again before the 22nd. Ok, now it's time to put up the powerwasher and get inside. I can tell right now I'm gonna be sore tonight.
I survived. It's amazing that I can get anything done. I can always find some little thing that needs to be done. You know, I'm here. Might as well do this too? These two sentences are an example of this. I go back and sorta proof read and this addition seems necessary. Helpppppp!!!!! Back to the ending.....OK?

It took a couple of Advil (ok more than a couple) but, I'm still moving. Isn't it something how one project snowballs. Now, before I get too involved with posting, I'm outta here. Be good all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home