Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Blog or Not My Blog

DATE: 7/8/2006 1:58:00 AM
Hey It's been awhile it seems. I haven't felt like blogging. No, I haven't really been able to think of a subject. I know I'm new to this blogging, and thinking of something new and profound is well, daunting to me. It's one thing to just talk BS and another to actually write it down and not look totally illiterate. After 20 years of one brain cell terminating day after another,my vocabulary and composition skills have deteriorated to a pitiful level.
I wasn't the literary type. My younger brother was always the gifted one in that aspect. I spent a little time today checking out his blog. I admit he's had years of experience ,both hands on and college, to perfect his blogging skills. I am a little jealous. I promise I won't get discouraged. I plan on making this MY blog and trying not to compete. I DO like the freedom Blogger allows. As soon as I learn a way to import a blog to my domain name. We'll do.
This does bring up a question I've aways had. What are my "gifts"? Everyone says, "Find out what you are good at and do it". Well, I've never found that. If I remember back in school I never had a problem or a challenge with the level of studies in school. Up till the second half of the 11th grade I coasted through school. I could read an assignment, maybe take a few notes and still pass with an "A", sometimes a "B". I never had the best grade. That always went to Gary Olsen. I can remember in the 9th grade. It didn't matter if i made a 98 in Civics, he made a 100. I think he would beat me 8 out of ten times. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGG
I guess if anything sums up my "skills" in school, it would be band. Band at our school consisted of a marching band during football season. After football season was concert season and tryouts for Allstate Band. Everyone had to go tryout. We had months to practice. We would have a book of musical arrangements from which to choose. We would have to audition one prepared selection and would memorize all the different scales, E-sharp, D, G-flat, ect. Well, would I practice? Not really. I would spend enough time on the scales to kinda pass through them. As far as the prepared material, well I would sight-read it. That is where you play what you see for the first time. I admit I never made first band but I always placed......Hmmmm, respectable.
Oops, I got distracted by TV. A program on 20/20 about soft addictions. I could have been their whole segment! Lets' see if I can wrap this up. I'm sure I lost where I was going with this entry.
Oh, my strengths. It's not being focused it seems. I guess the point I was trying to make is: I never excelled at anything in particular. I could though, take a situation or subject and quickly understand enough about it to have a fairly intelligent conversation. What details I didn't know I could skirt around by having the other person fill in the gaps, so to speak. Is this a real talent? I'm not sure but it's come in helpful .
Glo says I have a "Gift for gab". Sounds like a very polite way to say" You're full of Bull-hockey. I admit. You just have to love that woman
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home