Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I'm Still in Shock

DATE: 7/2/2006 11:21:00 PM
Hey. I was bad. I was going stir crazy. I needed to escape. HELP!!!!!!! Oh, too late. I saved myself. I had the big idea to go to the Franklin-Fulton Auto Club's car show in St. Thomas Pa yesterday. I know, I'm still off duty after my little accident almost 2 weeks ago. I told myself I'm not going to be doing much. I basically have my truck cleaned. I have to wipe off the dust, put up our canopy and detail the tires and wheels. Even, with the set up of the displays, I should be able to do all of this in 35-40 mins with help. After that, just kick back in the old reclining outdoor chair and take it easy.
Things didn't go quite as I had planned. First Glo, her nickname I'll use in my little blog, wasn't feeling well this morning. We weren't totally sure she was going to feel up to staying all day. I planned on getting there early enough to get a dash plaque, only 50 were available, and go get some snacks before we set up. After seeing what little room there was in the parking area, I thought it would be better to get a front spot on the paved parking lot. So, needless to say we didn't get to go shopping and ate from the concession stands.
I got discouraged early after seeing some of the competition: 1960 Ford pickup restored to new. a late 40's Dodge Pickup (also restored), and a 1970 Chevy C10 with a 396 big block. All looked show room new. I didn't stand a chance against such rides and surely not against the 2 Rancheros I thought were in my class. During judging, it seemed the judges made a quick glance around my truck. I didn't see them come to the back where we were sitting, or look under at the suspension or brakes. This really upset me. I had watched another group of judges in the Corvette area going over the cars looking at every nook and cranny only moments before. Just my luck.
Well at 3pm it was time to go to the awards. I broke down our canopy, put away the chairs and got ready to go. The first announced group was the 4x4 class. Then it was the 2X4 class. Third place was the Ranchero. Now I knew I was out. The 60 Ford placed 2nd. Well, time to leave. Why even stay? When my truck was called out for first place......well I'm still shocked.
I guess I shouldn't be so competitive. I should just go for the enjoyment of being able to bond with fellow car nuts. You know, talk about modifications to our cars, dreams of the "one rare muscle car that got away". Maybe one day I'll chill. Then.....well......I haven't gotten a best of show yet. Patience grasshopper, your time awaits.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home