Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Do Celebrities Really Matter?

DATE: 7/4/2006 11:28:00 AM
What is it about celebrity? It's seems in this age, celebrities have as much, if not more, importance in our lives than our acquaintances? Why do we spend so much time trying to find out what Brad and Jolie had for dinner? Is there a special recipe for Chicken of the Sea that I can not get?
I have had two of my favorite radio personalities lose someone close to them over the last year. Both seem to have had a profound effect on me. Is it because they spent a lot of time bringing their relationship to the airwaves? Does this make it seem to be a closer relationship than others I know? I admit, I spend more time listening to them than these other acquaintances. That doesn't equate to the difference in importance I feel these personalities have in my life.
I know my grandparents died when I was young. I never met my grandfather on my mother's side and I believe his wife side died shortly before I started school. My father's father died before I was 10 and my last remaining grandparent never saw me graduate. These four relative's passing didn't make a lasting impression. Maybe I was too young to comprehend at the time?
The first person to really affect me as an adult was Kenny Smith. I met Kenny through his wife Lorie. At the time he was a former logger who was recovering from leukemia. To see someone who had been so healthy and strong reduced like he had been, well it made an impression. I hadn't know anyone so.....alive. At first my relationship with their family was strictly through his wife. We were party buddies. Soon though he and I found things in common, cars, fishing, etc. I actually learned more about living from him than ever before. Sadly, I didn't have much time to spend with Kenny. He stills lives with me.
I can only think of one other person's passing that made a big difference. He died too young in a car accident. But, it seems these deaths of a popular personalities love ones touch me deeper. Do I have any answers here? No, not really. It just makes me wonder if others out there agree. Maybe I just do a good job of keeping others at arms reach. Not sure but. If I figure it out I'll let ya know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home