Tuesday, November 21, 2006

10-4 We're Outta Here

Watch out all you police scanner listeners. Soon to be gone from the airwaves are all those "10 codes" used by the police departments. No longer will we hear: "Unit 4 will be 10-8, 10-19." No. Now, the abbreviations will have to spoken in plain language. BTW. 10-8, 10-19 = in route to location. Instead of 10-36 they will just ask what time is it.
I can see some advantages in this new method. I mean some numbers sound the same and I would hate to see a message misunderstood. Can you imagine calling in the SWAT team instead of asking for a phone number?
But I'm actually here to talk about the huge disadvantages. Can you imagine what Friday and Saturday night entertainment is going to sound like now. Instead of relaxing at home. listening to the scanner to see which one of your coworkers will be late Monday morning,the official sounds of police business will now sound more like a family vacation.
No more calls by officers, "Dispatch, I'm going to be 10-8 at the 7-11 for a 10-100". NO!! Now we'll hear, "Dispatch, I'm stopping at the 7-11 to pee." And, if they bring up 10-200?? Too much information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home