Thursday, October 12, 2006

Will We All Just Get Along?

My parents were a product of the Jim Crow South of the 50’s and 60’s. When it came to race relations, they were the stereotypical white South Arkansan. I’m not saying they were “card carrying” and had hoods in the closet. (I did have a friend whose father owned a KKK “uniform”) But, I will say they didn’t trust black people.

Born in ’64, I grew up in a 70’s middle class neighborhood which was located on the “wrong side of the tracks”. It was isolated by wooded areas on all sides and it was 100% Caucasian. Needless to say, except for school, I was separated from most minorities for most of my formative years.

My first big realization of the depth of my prejudice happened when I was 22. I was an Asst. Manager of a local steak house. After a long, busy Friday night, I returned to the kitchen to find a disaster. I lost my temper, and yelled out. “Clean this damn place up, it looks like a bunch of “N’s” are working here”.

Now after saying this I didn’t think any more about it. Unknown to me, I was overheard by one of our best customer service employees. Less than an hour later this employee asks to speak to me. She explained how offended she was and she could no longer work for someone who thought like I did. What could I say? I was as guilty as I could be. This must rank as one of the most embarrassing moments in my life and it convinced me to do a little soul searching. .

I recently attended my brother’s wedding. His wife couldn’t be more charming. She is a beautiful woman and has a personality that brings out the best in people. But, my parents are not happy. No, not happy at all. It’s hard for them to see more than her color. Me…. Personally, I don’t care. As long as he is happy, does it matter?

Now……Before I go patting myself on the back, I have noticed a new outlook develop. Have I turned my prejudice from the color black to the color brown??

I can understand the desire to better one’s situation. There is something noble about leaving the comfort of one’s family to travel to a foreign land to better provide for one’s family. You know, “To seek out new life and new civilizations”……Wait a minute. That’s the Star Fleet credo.

Seriously, isn’t that one our fundamental beliefs? We as citizens of the US, have the freedom to pursue Life, Liberty and Happiness? We are encouraged to make the most of our resources. It should be our goal to prosper and become more productive.

This nation was founded by immigration. Our country is strengthened by the addition of people with the desire to improve their quality of life. The legal immigration policy is designed to help, us as a country, assimilate skilled workers into our labor pool.
Adding skilled or gifted individuals to our population makes us a stronger nation.

The recent highlighting of the rampant influx (some say invasion) of illegal aliens is bringing back those old feelings. I sympathize with their motives, but I don’t believe this country can support the millions of illegals here now and the millions that are waiting to come over the border.

There has to be a return on investment. If we are spending x amount of dollars to educate and provide medical care, what are we getting in return? It’s documented that a majority of the wages earned are sent back to Mexico. These are dollars taken out of our economy and redistributed to the economy of Mexico.

This brings me back to my dilemma. Am I being patriotic by wishing my government to address this problem? Or is this just the rationalization I need to hide my true feelings?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home